Today, Microsoft released Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 17733 (RS5) to Windows Insiders in the Fast ring.
What’s new in Build 17733
DARK THEME IN FILE EXPLORER
With Build 17666 Microsoft started their journey bringing dark theme to File Explorer. Today’s build marks the turning point where they finished what they set out to do for this release.
General changes, improvements, and fixes for PC
- Microsoft is taking XAML shadows offline while Microsoft work on addressing some of the issues insiders complained about. Acrylic has also been removed from some popup controls. They should be back in a future flight.
- Microsoft fixed an issue from recently flights where the touch keyboard might become invisible on the screen.
- Microsoft fixed an issue in recent flights where components of a notification with a progress bar (like the one when using nearby sharing) might flash every time the progress bar updated.
- Microsoft fixed an issue where on certain devices if you reset your device and chose to keep files, after logging back into Windows the Sound Settings page would be unresponsive.
- Microsoft fixed the issue where the High Contrast dropdown flashed when the values were changed.
Improvements and fixes for Narrator
- Microsoft fixed the issue where Narrator couldn’t access all the emoji in the Touch Keyboard’s emoji panel.
- Microsoft fixed the issue where Narrator didn’t say “selected” after image was selected using the keyboard.
- Microsoft fixed the issue where Touch Narrator’s focus remained on the word even after deselecting it.
- Microsoft fixed the issue where the Narrator key got sticky when using the Mouse Mode command.
- Microsoft fixed the issue where Narrator’s Command Restore Default dialog was not read by Narrator.
- Microsoft fixed the issue where Narrator’s copy and paste feature would say “selection removed” but the selection remained.
- Microsoft fixed the issue where Narrator automatic dialog read the Command key Assignmentdialog twice.
- Microsoft have improved the Narrator experience when moving by character and announcing phonetic pronunciations.
- Microsoft fixed the issue where Narrator focus and keyboard focus got out of sync after navigating TreeView controls.
- Microsoft fixed the issue where Narrator misread the Calculator app’s display on focus for values over 100.
- Microsoft fixed the issue where when launching Narrator QuickStart using the link in Narrator Settings, the Narrator icon would appear in the taskbar.
- Microsoft fixed the issue where Narrator couldn’t read the label of the Word document recoverydialog.
- Microsoft fixed the issue so Narrator can now navigate the New Notepad Status Bar contents.
- Microsoft fixed the issue where Narrator Scan mode navigation didn’t progress after tabbing onto a link.
- Microsoft fixed the issue where Narrator navigated out of the Microsoft Edge browser window using Scan mode on some web pages.
- Microsoft fixed the issue where Narrator crashed when Developer Mode was in use and the generated string to display was null.
- Microsoft fixed the issue where Narrator continuous reading got stuck on a table element in some HTML emails.
- Your PC will bugcheck (GSOD) when deleting a local folder that is synced to OneDrive.
- Clicking a link to launch one app from another app may not work for some Insiders. Microsoft is investigating.
- When you upgrade to this build you’ll find that the taskbar flyouts (network, volume, etc) no longer have an acrylic background.
- When you use the Ease of Access Make Text bigger setting, you might see text clipping issues, or find that text is not increasing in size everywhere.
- On Windows 10 in S Mode, launching Office in the Store may fail to launch with an error about a .dll not being designed to run on Windows. The error message is that a .dll “is either not designed to run on Windows or it contains an error. Try installing the program again…” Some people have been able to work around this by uninstalling and reinstalling Office from the Store.
- When using Narrator Scan mode you may experience multiple stops for a single control. An example of this is if you have an image that is also a link. This is something Microsoft is actively working on.
- When using Narrator Scan mode Shift + Selection commands in Microsoft Edge, the text does not get selected properly.
- Microsoft is investigating a potential increase in Start reliability and performance issues in this build.
- After setting up a Windows Mixed Reality headset for the first time on this build with motion controllers, the controllers may need to be re-paired a second time before appearing in the headset.
- When using a Windows Mixed Reality immersive app, saying “Flashlight on,” may fail to activate the flashlight feature even though the status appears as active on the Start menu.
Known issues for Developers
- If you install any of the recent builds from the Fast ring and switch to the Slow ring – optional content such as enabling developer mode will fail. You will have to remain in the Fast ring to add/install/enable optional content. This is because optional content will only install on builds approved for specific rings.
Insiders can download the new build by Checking for Updates in Settings.