Today, Microsoft announced the release of Windows 10 Insider Preview build 14936 for both PCs and phones. For Windows 10 Mobile, it’s the first release since build 14926 was made available two weeks ago; that build introduced a couple of serious issues for some users, leading Microsoft to hold off on releasing a new preview for phones until it was fixed.
With today’s rollout of build 14936, Microsoft confirmed that both of those issues have now been resolved, along with many others:
- We fixed the issue causing the pin pad to not be visible to unlock the phone even after rebooting the phone.
- We fixed the issue where some phones lose the ability to use their SIM cards.
- We fixed the mobile hotspot issue where it works the first time but subsequent attempts to use the feature won’t work until the phone is rebooted.
- We fixed an issue causing some devices such as the Lumia 650 from failing to install a new build with Error 0x80188308.
- We fixed the issue causing some build updates to fail with an 800703ed error code.
- We fixed the issue where Action Center no longer closes if you swipe up on the empty space (area of Action Center that doesn’t show any notifications).
- We fixed an issue where notifications were unexpectedly showing the app logo within the notification when viewed in Action Center.
- We fixed an issue for devices that shipped with Windows Phone 8.1, such as the Lumia 930 and 1520, where if you plugged in a headset during an ongoing call, the audio would not be routed to the headset.
And the good news is that there’s only one known issue to be aware of before installing the new build on your handset:
- If you have your default storage set to a SD card for apps, installation of apps like WhatsApp, Facebook Messenger and WeChat will fail with an error. As a workaround, set your default location to your device’s onboard storage.
Windows 10 Mobile phones enrolled in the Insider Fast ring can now download and install build 14936, so if you can deal with the storage card issue for now, then grab the update and let us know how you get on with it.